Friday, July 16, 2010

July 14th, 2010.........Kelsy's first day


Early this morning I was given the approval to work at the Fort Hood Resilience and Restoration Center (R&R Center) with Kelsy by my side. The purpose of this is three fold:
1. Continue with Kelsy’s training as a Therapy Dog by placing her in an environment where she is around a vast number of people so that she can get accustomed to it.
2. Offer therapeutic aid to Soldiers waiting to be seen at the R&R Clinic. I.e. Allow the Soldiers to pet her, engage in activities with her, helping the Soldiers to ease their anxiety, stress and depression just by having her there for companionship
3. Given that I have taken on this task of training Kelsy to be a therapy dog, it forces me to engage in conversation with people I do not know. Given my condition, PTSD, I have a tendency to isolate myself. This forces me out of that shell and back into society.

Once I was given the go ahead to bring Kelsy into the R&R with me today, I came home and let her out to go to the bathroom. While she was outside, I pulled her harness out of the drawer and got her vest ready. She was standing at the door, waiting for me to let her in. She knew something amazing was about to happen, or perhaps she just thought she was getting another car ride. I pick up the harness and she lets me put it on her without any struggles. She sees the vest and stands perfectly still waiting for me to put it on her. And then she immediately goes to the front door and sits and waits for me. She knew something good was about to go down.

At 1330 Kelsy and I reported to the R&R Center waiting area. Today really wasn’t supposed to be her first day, it was more of an orientation with my counselor. Giving her a chance to get to know Kelsy as we finalized the paperwork required to allow me to be there.

However, in the end, today really did start Kelsy’s first day at the R&R Center. She drew in three separate individuals simply by being herself. I spent about 30 minutes speaking with one young Soldier about what I was doing with Kelsy and I was able to assist her with information on how to go about doing it herself. Another young Soldier simply wanted to hug Kelsy. It was enough to bring a smile to her face. And that’s really what this is all about. Being able to affect someone in a positive manner even if it’s just for a second means we really are making a difference.

I knew that doing this would require me to be more social, but I never really realized just how quickly I was able to open up when someone started asking me about Kelsy. I ended up helping a young man while standing outside the R&R, informing him of what I knew about the whole MEB process and the benefits available to him. All this time I have said that Kelsy has been helping me. But, I didn’t realize how much she’ld be helping me by being at the R&R Center even if I’m not there for an appointment myself. She’s forcing me out of my shell and to be quite honest, given the mission I have sought out, I am quite happy doing this. I have never been so happy to just sit with Kelsy and watch people hug her or answer questions they might have about her. Perhaps a change in careers is what lies ahead for me, but only time will tell. Kelsy and I start our new mission officially tomorrow afternoon. And we will be there everyday in one of the many locations that fall under the R&R Center thanks to some wonderful individuals who are supporting me in this mission. A mission that not only benefits the Soldiers of Fort Hood, but Kelsy and I as well.

I am grateful that I have been granted this mission. And I find now that I have something to look forward to each and every day, something worthwhile. As does Kelsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment