Friday, July 16, 2010

Kelsy's background

I thought I'd give you some background on Kelsy so you can see how far she has come.

Here's a photo history of Kelsy since I adopted her in July of last year.  Kelsy

I found Kelsy at my mom's animal shelter, Elk Country Animal Shelter in Atlanta, MI last July during my visit. The first time I laid eyes on her I was in love. She would lay on the pathetic "i need your attention" act when I would walk by her kennel. She'll come up to the gate and bury her face into her paws and roll over wanting me to pet her. It was an immediate connection lol.

The background I was able to get from my mom was that she came in very scared. She wouldn't come to the front of the kennel for anyone. It took them quite sometime to get her to realize she was in a good place. She wouldn't take a brush. She wasn't very cooperative with the vet when it came to getting her shots. They were unable to microchip her because of this.

I brought her back to Texas with me in July last year and have spent the last year working with her fears. She loves to be brushed now, although she has issues with folks touching her tail. But I'm working on this on a daily basis so that she's no longer worried about that. She was already pretty well trained with basic commands so it was fairly easy to teach her some special commands. She responds to hand signals, so if I ever encounter someone while doing this mission that is deaf, they will be able to give her commands without speaking. She's gotten much better on the leash, she used to pull but now I can walk with a loose leash. She doesn't jump on people anymore. She used to get so excited she'ld greet them with a big dog hug lol. She's much better about that now.

Kelsy doesn't take baths well. But that's my next major area of focus. Yesterday I treated her to a visit to Belton Lake after her visit with the troops. I really wish I'd changed out of my uniform before taking her out there lol, I ended up with sopping wet boots! But she LOVED the water, that's what matters. I plan to buy a pool for the backyard....she'll just get her baths in that. She'll like the pool, I already know that much lol.




I just wanted to share with you a lil of Kelsy's background so you can see how far she has come since her arrival at my mom's animal shelter. Once I work on all her necessary areas that are tested by the TDI, I will be arranging for her to be tested and certified as a therapy dog so that I can take her to facilities on a regular basis. To help Soldiers out. I find this to be a very rewarding mission and look forward to doing this for quite a while.

Thank for reading....

WOOF! WOOF! Says Kelsy :)
Old Sarge and Kelsy out!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I am soooo very proud of you and Kelsy!!! Great job!!! I do believe in the healing power of animals. I have felt it and have seen it. When I went through severe clinical depression, I would hold my dog and cry my eyes out. He was happy to be near me and would lick my tears away. It has been quite a few years since then and I now have a pet therapy dog. He too was a stray and very skittish. I have loved all my dogs, but TJ is special. We went through a program and now he is a "Pet Therapy" dog. We go on visits to the children's hospial, psychiatric hospital, nursing homes and the deaf and blind school. He doesn't do any tricks; he is just loves to be petted and is extremely gentle. He no longer is the shy nervous dog. In fact, if you are the mailman.....you better run! LOL

    ReplyDelete